Farewell to SuperCCD sensor

Started Sep 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Oleg Ivanovskiy Forum Member • Posts: 54
Farewell to SuperCCD sensor

Canon S90 and its preview on this site were pretty much discussed in last couple of days here, in news forum, and also in Canon one. A lot of people wrote that S90 is a big puff, huge disappointment. One didn't like high ISO night shot, and others mentioned that their 3-4 years old models do better (personally, I seriously doubt that). What an awfull low-iso performance!! Not a single object shot sharp!!

Another users adviced to buy Fuji F70 instead of Canon S90, because of SuperCCD's sensor mythical performance...
And now - the news. Fuji F70 sample gallery. Where to begin?

First of all, look at the sample N4 - now that's what I call purple fringing!

Then - at sample N3. Download full-size file and tell me, where, in which way is it better in comparision with S90. I'd say, it's far worse.

Last of all, maybe there is some magic low-noise mode to do clear night shots? Or, at least, shoot at home without flash? The sample N24 says - NO! There is no magic in this world, just a 20-tonns-heavy NR and rough downsampling.

So, I guess, it's time to say farewell to SuperCCD technology and Fuji as a benchmark for quality low- and high-ISO images.

I understand, that F70 uses a smaller sensor, than S90. I also think that overall quality of F70 is good - for compact superzoom p&s - but, as I've already said, far from the best.

What do you people think??

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow