Started Sep 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Oleg Ivanovskiy
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Farewell to SuperCCD sensor
Sep 21, 2009

Canon S90 and its preview on this site were pretty much discussed in last couple of days here, in news forum, and also in Canon one. A lot of people wrote that S90 is a big puff, huge disappointment. One didn't like high ISO night shot, and others mentioned that their 3-4 years old models do better (personally, I seriously doubt that). What an awfull low-iso performance!! Not a single object shot sharp!!

Another users adviced to buy Fuji F70 instead of Canon S90, because of SuperCCD's sensor mythical performance...
And now - the news. Fuji F70 sample gallery. Where to begin?

First of all, look at the sample N4 - now that's what I call purple fringing!

Then - at sample N3. Download full-size file and tell me, where, in which way is it better in comparision with S90. I'd say, it's far worse.

Last of all, maybe there is some magic low-noise mode to do clear night shots? Or, at least, shoot at home without flash? The sample N24 says - NO! There is no magic in this world, just a 20-tonns-heavy NR and rough downsampling.

So, I guess, it's time to say farewell to SuperCCD technology and Fuji as a benchmark for quality low- and high-ISO images.

I understand, that F70 uses a smaller sensor, than S90. I also think that overall quality of F70 is good - for compact superzoom p&s - but, as I've already said, far from the best.

What do you people think??

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow