Started Sep 19, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sincraft
Regular MemberPosts: 409
Like?
Canon issues vs Nikon issue
Sep 19, 2009

Loaded question I know, however I had my heart set on a d90 for several reasons after returning my d60 as it had uncleanable spots on the sensor. I was thinking of upgrading for better high iso performance to the d5000 but strayed away due to the fact that almost every d5000 has to be sent for service, many times twice.

So then I started researching and wham, more bad news. Thread after thread here and other forums about blatant dead, stuck, hot ..whatever pixels and other focusing issues with the d90. Sigh. I was sold until I realize, wait - maybe these people aren't just pixel peeping. I researched more and sure enough found out what they were talking about. BIG BRIGHT red pixels, return cam for another...same issue. some report 6-12 , even after returning the camera for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th time! After the 3rd time even I would have given up.

So I have to ask. Is this an issue that plagues the equivalent model Canons? I've been noticing that many 450 owners seemed pleased while 500d owners are having some issues or were expected better performance. What is the 'next step' after the 500d or a camera that compares with the nikon d90 and how do you feel about the issues?

I'm looking for a long term camera that I can grow into that I will own for years. I don't want to invest in something that is defective right out of the box.

I know there will always be some issues here and there, I don't plan on pixel peeping but noise, giant red dots are NOT acceptable to me. Especially when they can be avoided. IE: The Nikon d60...don't even bother shooting at iso 1600 imo.

Thanks for the info ladies and gents, much appreciated. Fall is coming and if I don't have a tested camera in hand I'll be out there with the p and s cam lol!
--
How do you work this crazy thing?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow