Started Sep 19, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JMDavis
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Maybe a mac problem or not?
Sep 19, 2009

OK, this is my set up: A Mac Pro, Quad core, running Leopard OSX, version 10.5.6. The machine is set up to also boot to Windows XP, SP3. Leopard is on the Mac HD, of course, but Windows XP is installed on a second 500 GB hard drive I've installed. The 500 GB Windows drive has 2 partitions: the first is 100 GB and has the OS and applications on it and is formatted NTFS, the second partition contains all of the data and is formatted FAT 32. I set it up like this with the data on the FAT 32 partition so the Mac side of the machine could not only read the data but also write to the FAT 32 partition.

This is what I use for work on digital images: On the Mac side I have Nikon Capture NX 2 (this is a trial version for now) and Photoshop Elements 6 - on the Windows side I use Corel's Paint Shop Pro XII.

Now, running Leopard, I'll take an image file and move it to the computer to a folder on the FAT 32 partition and use Capture NX 2 to work on it. (The image files are Nikon RAW/NEF files.) When I'm through working on the file, I'll save it, as a RAW/NEF, and then I'll do a "Save As" to a JPEG file of the image to the FAT 32 partition. From there I'll boot to the Windows side and start Paint Shop Pro to open the JPEG version for printing. Now this is where the problem is - under Windows using Paint Shop Pro to open the JPEG version I get an error message stating "An error has occurred while trying to read from the file." The problem opening these JPEG's happens about 90% of the time. Paint Shop Pro doesn't freeze up or crash - just the error dialog box which I can close and Paint Shop Pro continues running OK. This only happens on JPEGS I've saved out of Capture NX 2. Older JPEG files from the old computer or say JPEGS directly from my wife's point-and-shoot Casio I can open OK. Or, I can take the JPEG saved out of Capture NX 2 and open it in another editor, i.e. Photoshop Elements 6 under the Mac or and old version of Corel Photo Paint under the Windows side save the files and then they'll open in Paint Shop Pro. Has anyone every heard of anything like this or have any suggestions!
Thanks - JMDavis

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow