Started Sep 18, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,416Gear list
Like?
I was too hard on Pentax...
Sep 18, 2009

A post of mine yesterday was hard on Pentax for not having lighted AF points, really I was just caught up with emotions and bashing Pentax over it. Now I am sorry I said it, because Pentax is not milking its customers other brands are.

Pentax fans we or I was a bit too hard on Pentax for one non-fatal omission. I turned off the AF points on my K20D and used live-view to take a quick look if I used selectable AF. 70% of my shooting is in center however. The K-x will also have a screen on the back LCD showing the AF points. Gordon B is probably right, there was simply no room for the AF indicators, its not a tiny setup. So to keep costs down, as building a whole new body would be a substantial investment and cost burden right now at least one thing had to be left out.

Now compare this with the Nikon D5000, talk about cost savings, the thing feels like a light weight toy because it has no AF motor again, they are really milking this one and the customers. It has no Image stabilization, still Canon and Nikon have left out a feature every modern camera even point and shoots have, IS. They save costs in their dSLRs, and make you pay for it over and over in the lens. What would you do if Pentax left out IS in its entry level camera? Now the Pentax K-x uses basically the same sensor as all Nikon APS size dSLRs, wait until the IQ tests come in, knowing Pentax you may get an entry level dSLR with the IQ of the D90 or even D300.

And dismiss this non-factual statement from dpreview. Its without fact or even history. The first K-m used a Sony sensor. Pentax saves its top drawer Samsung sensor for its top models, this is kinda a knock toward this sensor and Nikon when you start thinking about it. Pentax believes the Samsung 14.6mp is better than the Sony 12.4 CMOS. The debate of is it or not is another long story still being written. But what other sensor was Pentax going to use. So this statement in a pre-view is in poor taste, tell me any fact or history to support it. Just because Samsung does not want K-7s does not mean they don't want to have a relationship with Pentax, it may be best for both for Samsung to build its new non-SLR cameras and Pentax SLR types, while still sharing technology. After all Pentax flash-ship K-7 still uses a Samsung sensor. And as I said before the K-m, K200 used a Sony sensor.

"With its decision not to use a Samsung sensor and that Korean company's apparent unwillingness to re-badge the most recent Pentax DSLRs, it's hard not to see the K-x as another question mark over the closeness of the relationship between the two companies and what that might mean for Pentax's future direction."

IMO its a very negative thing to say in a preview and not justified in any way. History tells why Pentax uses the lower mega-pixel Sony sensors, so why write this?

Now think your being shorted, while go buy a Nikon D5000 with no AF motor and NO image stabilization. This way Nikon will force you to buy certain lens, you wont be able to use every Pentax lens ever made and you will pay for IS in every lens you want it. Not me.... I would happily take the K-x with its fast fps and probably very high IQ for a great price.
--
jamesm007,
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z77/jamesm700/
WSSA member 266PX

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow