Started Sep 17, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SMV78
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Going tele: DX or TC
Sep 17, 2009

Hi, I have a D700 and I'm thinking in buying a tele prime for wildlife (not birds), and I'm also considering a 2nd body.

The biggest/heaviest/longest lens that I'm willing to carry and I can afford is the AFS 300mm f2.8 VR. The other exotics are too heavy (hiking) and expensive for me.

Well, the problem is that 300mm on FX is too short, so I should buy a TC: probably the TC17 to get enough reach (510mm f4.8) ...

But, I could also buy a DX camera and get a 450mm f2.8, or a 630mm f4.0 with a TC14.

It seems that with the TC17 you loose too much IQ and the AF is slower, meanwhile the TC14 is ok.

So my question is: which is better to get enough reach? a TC on FX or a DX camera? Maybe FX + TC17 or DX + TC14?

I'm assuming that the ISO/IQ advantage of FX is 1 stop and it is lost because of the TC.

Thank you.

SMV78's gear list:SMV78's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow