Copy Custom White Balance from Capture NX2 to D300?

Started Sep 16, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
griz87911
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
Copy Custom White Balance from Capture NX2 to D300?
Sep 16, 2009

Several times a month I shoot friends and family in a difficult lighting situation -- sitting around a campfire. I assume the precise technical temperature for that light source constantly changes but I'd be willing to bet it doesn't deviate much from an average.

All attempts to do this the right way with my WhiBal card have failed. I keep getting "no good" from the camera. Not sure if that's because the fire doesn't throw off enough light or if the light it throws off is too red and the camera can't read it.

After a great deal of trial and error, I finally found a nearly neutral gray reference point in one of those photos and used it to set an NX2 white balance which, though not perfect, is much better than any of the built in settings on the camera. I have saved it and applied it to subsequent campfire photos with reasonably good results.

So now that I have this custom white balance saved in NX2, I would like to get it onto my D300 as a preset white balance so I can get the white balance the way I want it in-camera. It doesn't appear to me that the programmable white balance setting on the d300 (4-way grid with an "A-B" axis and a "G-M" axis) is an apples-to-apples comparison with NX2 ("red" and "blue" settings plotted on an x-y axis).

Does anybody know if I can somehow convert those NX2 values into something equivalent on the D300, or am I stuck with fixing them in NX2?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow