Started Sep 16, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
macdane
Regular MemberPosts: 442
Like?
Tokina 28-80 is supposed to suck???
Sep 16, 2009

I traded for a Tokina 28-80 f/2.8 AT-X PRO awhile back and found the performance really lacking. It was pretty much unusable wide-open and really didn't even approach decent performance until at least f/5.6 or so. I finally got around to sending it in for calibration last week and was surprised to find it waiting at my front door yesterday.

The notes THK sent back with the lens floored me and I'd like to share them with you:

Unit was thoroughly inspected and we have found nothing wrong with it. It meets factory specifications...This lens was designed for film cameras, not digital. The optical performance on a digital camera will not be the same as on a film camera.

Just to be sure THK was clear on the problem I was having, I included a composite of shots made with the lens at various apertures to illustrate just how bad it looks wide-open:

...and a control shot (at f/2.8) from my 70-200VR:

Now, I understand that one of the things you get when you spend a gazillion dollars on a Nikon 24-70 is the ability to shoot wide-open with negligible penalty, but this is ridiculous. I'd much rather have my 24-120VR back, but the reason I traded in the first place was for f/2.8 capability...which, clearly, I still don't have.

Any of you with experience in this sort of thing, what's your take? Do I just shrug and chalk it up as a learning experience? I want to use this lens!

Thanks,
Dane

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow