First use of 500 reflex f8

Started Sep 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
Chris Malcolm
Contributing MemberPosts: 878Gear list
Like?
Re: Moon !
In reply to Knowclue, Sep 16, 2009

Knowclue wrote:

Chris, I like it very much, I see you say you get your sharpest pictures with SSS off and speed above 1/350 is that on your lenses 300 and above. If you have a 300mm lens what aperture and speed do you find the clearest.

The problem I'm talking about here isn't what shutter speed you can had hold at what focal length, it's that in my most critical tripod mounted shots I can see mirror slap starting to obtrude at speeds lower than around 1/350th sec. It's easy to see with the 500mm reflex. It's only just possible to see it with my 18-250mm at 250mm, which apart from being half the focal length is also less sharp. With both lenses the shutter speed at which it appears is the same, around 1/350th. But when hand holding with SSS on at lower shutter speeds the small amount of mirror slap smear is usually absorbed into the other forms of softness.

I find f8 the sharpest with my 18-250mm at 250mm. I wouldn't be surprised if a 300mm prime or wide aperture short range zoom was sharpest at a lower aperture.

-- hide signature --

Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm's gear list:Chris Malcolm's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow