I would appreciate some advice please :o)

Started Sep 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fiona80
Regular MemberPosts: 170
Like?
I would appreciate some advice please :o)
Sep 15, 2009

Hi,

I have had a Casio Ex-Z750 for the last several years and it has served me well. I have travelled around many areas in Europe and have taken some gorgeous pictures but I know that the quality is limited with my Casio. One thing that my Casio is hopeless at is taking pictures in dim light/ darkness....they always come out too dark and blurred.

Anyways, I am off to Africa for a few months in January 2010 and think it's high time I upgraded to a DSLR. I'm sure I will have the opportunity to take some fantastic safari shots (some of which I am sure I will want to blow up) and therefore I need a better camera.

I really enjoy photography but I don't know much about it at all. I would love to get into it more and I think I will get a lot of use out of a DSLR. I have never used a DSLR but am very eager to learn.

Basically I would like a small camera as I don't want to carry anything heavy whilst travelling, plus I am pretty petite and therefore have small hands.

I have only started researching DSLR's a short while ago and although I have done a heap of reading, I still don't really understand many terms -but I'm getting there!
I am pretty certain I want a Canon as I have heard it is the leading brand.

I guess I am tossing between the EOS 450D and the EOS 500D. I'm not sure which I should get. I do like the video function on the 500D as it could be useful whilst on safari. I don't own a video camera and very rarely take any videos but I must admit that the video function on my Casio has come in handy at times.

I would like a camera that takes brilliant pics at night as well as during the day.

So I suppose I've narrowed it down to either the EOS 450D or the EOS 500D. Are these good choices? Is there a better camera that I have overlooked?

Also, I need advice on lenses (I haven't researched this area very well but intend to). Basically I will be photographing animals and scenery. I'll need something that can obviously zoom in quite a bit and that is good at taking clear pictures of things in motion.

I'm not too bothered about price but obviously don't want to spend a ridiculous amount on a camera that is going to be too difficult for me to use as I am just a beginner. I am happy to continue saving until I can afford a better camera if need be.

I do plan on doing alot more research before making the purchase but some advice would be most appreciated so that I know I'm heading in the right direction.

Thanks very much in advance.

Fiona

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow