Giving a lot of thought to the D300S versus the 7D...

Started Sep 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
me2000
Senior MemberPosts: 1,621
Like?
Giving a lot of thought to the D300S versus the 7D...
Sep 14, 2009

I've taken 8000 images with my 40D. I like it. Its a great camera. But I've been yearning for a wireless flash controller, better focus and a few other things.

I just got back from holidays. My friends are getting married in December and they asked me to shoot the wedding. I'd like to upgrade in the near future.

I've been shooting video with my SX110. I really like that feature in a camera. My son will only be 3 once and I need to capture him with stills as well as video.

I was delighted to see Canon release the 7D but after some thought I am not so sure I am going to stick with them. The 50D had too many pixels. Why the heck does the 7D have 18 million pixels ?

Canon screwed me by not fixing my brand new G9. (Lens error.) They messed up the 50D. And I am very hesitant to buy a 18 MP APS-C camera.

Has anyone noticed the price increases from 40D-> 50D to the 7D ? Its now about the same price as a D300s. I'm not sure its a better camera.

So... I wish the 7D had 12MP, not 18. It should cost $1250, not $1700. The video capture needs autofocus. I love the fact the D300s has dual storage support.

Is this enough reason for me to dump my 40D and flash (430EX) and lenses (50f1.8, 85f1.8 and 28-135IS) and go Nikon ?

I just don't have a sense that Canon knows what its doing anymore. Am I alone ?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

40D, 28-135, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 430EX
Broken G9, soon to be fixed.
Ufraw and Gimp power user.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow