Started Sep 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BMK2
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Conflicting Lens Reviews
Sep 13, 2009

Please be kind – I hate asking questions such as these on a forum like this – trust me I have searched and read all previous posts on topic.

I am planning on jumping into a Sony DSLR and am looking at either an A700 or A550 (which is a decision unto itself - I need to feel how plasticy the A550 is first - if you want to comment on your thoughts I would take any advice). I mostly take still-life and low light life (ie restaurants), but also will take landscape and portraits.

I am more concerned about lenses right now. I have been doing a lot of research and I want a good range of coverage by zoom lenses and then a prime to start out with. The problem is that the more research I do, the more conflicting reports I get about lenses.

Looking at the standard DT 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens and the DT 55 - 200mm f/4-5.6 Zoom Lens - some reviewers love them (as far as kit lenses go) and others hate the build. Alternatively, I look at DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Zoom Lens as an all-in-one solution that has gotten really good reviews in some cases, but is counter-intuitive with other things I have read that the more the zoom range, the lower the IQ. Why are there so many differences in opinion on these lenses? I know these are not the cream of the crop but I am working with a lower budget that I would like. What are your thoughts?

Also - Along with the above lenses, I want to start out with a 50mm prime for low light situations - I was pretty convinced I should fork over the extra $200 for the f/1.4 for the better build quality versus the f/1.8 but now several reviews have stated the opposite. Advice there?

Am I missing anything as far as lenses you would deem a "necessity" for someone starting out in the Sony world? Thanks for all your help!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow