E-620 - one solidly built / rugged camera!

Started Sep 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Davenport
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?
E-620 - one solidly built / rugged camera!
Sep 12, 2009

I'm an avid hiker and carry my E-620 in a toploader bag attached to the hip-belt of my backpack. This works great from a comfort / balance standpoint (much prefer it over a chest harness) and provides quick / easy access to the camera. The downside is if I haven't secured the camera inside the bag it will obviously fall out when I put on my pack. My old toploader bag had a velcro flap closure (which worked great and secured the camera in seconds with a minimum of fuss) but my new toploader bag uses a clip and I need to pay more attention to make sure the camera is secured. Anyway, I've dropped the camera twice in the last 2 weeks due to not paying enough attention. The first drop was 6' onto hard rock. I was amazed the camera was unscathed other than a small graze on the corner of the body. The kit lens was attached and and survived without any noticeable dings. Yesterday I was climbing a peak and upon leaving the summit the camera fell a good 12' onto rock, cartwheeled and landed on top of a huge flat boulder. I was relieved that the camera hadn't cartwheeled further or it would have fallen a few 1000' over cliffs and I would have lost all my pictures. After retrieving the camera, imagine my surprise to find the camera and kit lens fully intact (albeit with more noticeable dings and scratches this time) but otherwise 100% functional and no broken buttons or glass - I'm really amazed how solidly built this camera is!!!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow