Started Sep 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Matt Shelton
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Why I think Aperture 3 has gotta be coming out soon
Sep 11, 2009

Apple has spent so much time, money and effort developing and promoting what basically is a forward-looking operating system. By that I mean that there aren't yet (that I'm aware of) any heavy-duty applications that take advantage of Grand Central Dispatch (which will provide more effective utilization of our quad-core or 8-core machines) and/or OpenCL. Apple even released the Grand Central Dispatch code to the open source world today, clearly an effort to get developers and programmers out there writing new code that utilizes GCD.

But wouldn't one of the best ways for Apple to promote GCD and OpenCL be to release an upgrade to one of its own heavy duty apps that takes advantage of the new technologies? I would have thought that Final Cut Studio could have been a prime candidate for that, but with it's recent upgrade, I'm not sure.

So, Aperture 3 clearly is a prime candidate. Aperture users are clearly looking for new features to keep up with Lightroom. Wouldn't it just be awesome if Apple released a revamped Ap 3 that provided us with new editing and DAM management tools wihile really tweaking things under the hood? A 64-bit Aperture 3, taking advantage of GCD: import times into Aperture would improve dramatically, exports into other apps would fly, the hours that I can spend working within Aperture would be a wholly-new experience!

One can dream, right?!

Matt Shelton's gear list:Matt Shelton's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow