Started Sep 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,299Gear list
Like?
E-30 low ISO noise
Sep 11, 2009

I thought I'd post this thread in response to previous questions and complaints about low ISO noise in the E-30. When I first bought the E-30 this was something that I was concerned about due to the way the E-30 has been configured to handle noise. The question I asked myself was "How good is the E-30 for clean low ISO shots".

I took a few landscape shots yesterday and thought this one would be a good example to demonstrate what the E-30 can deliver at ISO 100.

The first shot is the jpeg conversion in camera. The noise setting is at standard and I imported the file in to Lightroom with no further noise reduction at all. I also pulled the file a bit using curves and levels just to see if it had much of an impact. You can see for yourself how clean the sky is and it is virtually as clean at 100%. Also the shadows are nice and clean as well.

I have also added the original RAW converted to DNG with no noise removal whatsoever (Set to zero in Lightroom). The DNG has been converted to jpeg and uploaded using the low sharpness setting.

I think you can see that at ISO 100 the E-30 is as clean as any E-series camera I have ever used (including the E-1) if you expose properly. You can also push and pull the RAW files plenty and still retain low noise.

I hope this re-assures any potential E-30 buyers interested in it's low ISO capabilities.
The exif data for the images is

Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 9 mm
Exposure: 0.00
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

RAW file with no PP except low sharpening during export.

-- hide signature --

Tony
667....Neighbour of the beast....Form is temporary, glass is permanent.

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow