SDM in my DA* 16-50/2.8 has crashed and burned. I knew it eventually would...

Started Sep 9, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike V99
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
SDM in my DA* 16-50/2.8 has crashed and burned. I knew it eventually would...
Sep 9, 2009

And I'm the one who will get burned having to pay the bill to fix it. Bought mine when they first came out in Oct. 2007. I read all the reports of optical misalignment, centering issues, focusing issues, softness at 2.8 and 50mm. Not mine (S/N 90137xx). Mine seemed charmed, save a slight squeal when the SDM worked. Then, after not using it for a couple of weeks, SDM would not come alive. I played with it a bit, manually focusing, and pressing the AF button and it suddenly started working again. Then, it would work for days and weeks without problems.

But if I let it sit to long, it went to sleep again and I had to play with it to get SDM working again. I lived with this because the lens was exceptional, optically, and I read about problems with lenses being screwed up after repairs were done, or a different lens being returned, so I let my trepidations get the better of me and lived with having to play with the lens to wake it up after a period of non-use. It always came alive and AF'd perfectly on SDM. Until now. This week, nothing I could do would wake it up. Works fine on my screw drive *ist-D, but the K-10 and K-20 are now manual focus only with this lens. (BTW, covering the contacts does not make these bodies work as screw drive with the SDM lenses). And of course, the warranty has expired, despite the lens having been used only a bit (under 500 exposures for sure) given the time I've owned it. It still looks brand new.

Pentax, if they had any real integrity, would fix this on their dime, because I now think most of these lenses were defective from the factory doors. All my old Pentax stuff works perfectly, but that possible new K7 will stay comfortably in the future for now. My risk taking on Pentax gear has been put on hold at these prices, and with all the bad QC I read about on this lens, especially.

Never had a Pentax lens or body fail me, going back to the mid 1970's and my first ME. Then MX, several Super A/Super Program bodies, two LX's, SF-1, SF-1N, PZ-1 PZ-1P and over 40 SMC M, A, F and FA lenses from A*15/3.5 to A*300/2.8 and everything in between, most I still own and all STILL functioning flawlessly and looking like new. But not this new super duper DA*16-50/2.8 SMC lens. Now it is all packed up and I am on the way to the post office to send it in. We'll see what they have the nerve to charge to fix this clunker.

This is why people loose faith in a trusted brand.
--
Mike V.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow