Wedding photography in a ... planetarium???

Started Sep 8, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SteveHanzek
Regular MemberPosts: 488
Like?
Wedding photography in a ... planetarium???
Sep 8, 2009

Co-worker is getting married in January, here in the arctic north of Wisconsin. The ceremony is taking place in a planetarium, of all places.

Sounds like the lights will be partially on, with the Sistine Chapel being projected onto the ceiling, with photos of their lives projected onto other sections throughout the ceremony.

The good news - it is not a church, so photographing is not a no-no during the service.
The bad news - quite a challenging location!

I don't have a ton of info at this point beyond these generalities. Apparently they will go in about a month in advance (sometime in December) and meet with the planetarium people again; at that time I can tag along to scope out the scene. With luck and some persuasion I will hopefully be able to convince them to replicate the proposed lighting, and try some basic shots to study and learn from. Plus checking out the angles and locations.

I have a 40d, 50mm f1.8, 55-250 IS, and a coworker has a 50d, 24-70 f2.8,430 ex flash that I can hopefully borrow for the night. I'm not opposed to renting something additional (lens, flash) and have another friend that has the 85mm f1.8. I have a good solid tripod and a monopod.

Any suggestions, besides "Don't do it!!!", would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow