Started Sep 7, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Sandman
Regular MemberPosts: 404Gear list
Like?
Adjustments for printing a sunset accurately
Sep 7, 2009

I have a photo taken just after sunset from South Mountain in Phoenix, Arizona. The reds along the mountain ridge are quite dramatic. The original is below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/msandman/3897699670/

When this image is viewed a a soft proof and the output is set to Epson's Pemium Glossy paper for output on an Epson 2200 printer, the (calibrated) monitor shows the reds as somewhat washed out -- more pink or rose than red.

(Unfortunately I can't capture an image of the washed out version I see on my monitor.)

I've played with just about every adjustment I can find on the CS4 menu -- exposure, saturation, curves, color balance, etc. but nothing restores the dramatic reds of the original.

Any suggestions for tweaks to restore the vibrancy of the reds in a print of the sunset would be apperciated -- Different paper? Combination of adjustments?

Thanks -
--
Mike Sandman

Mike Sandman's gear list:Mike Sandman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +17 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow