Started Sep 7, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wick Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,871
Like?
Best GPS logger for photographers
Sep 7, 2009

I have tried several off-camera data loggers and so far haven't found one that actually works without problems. They are:

• Gisteq Photo Trackr. Poor construction and requires driver. Poor battery life

• Amod 3080. No driver rquired but large and requires 3 AAA batteries. Poor battery life

• Royaltek 3800. Requires driver. Uses 2 AAA batteries. Poor battery life

• Sony CS1. Nicely made. No driver. Very poor sensitivity.

The original Sony was the ideal shape, size and build quality. Battery life was not too bad. Unfortunately, it seldom received a signal. The other units suffer from the SiRF III chipset, which is very power hungry, and build quality is not that good. The Gisteq unit is particularly bad.

I realize that GPS-embedded cameras are the right way to go, but as a Canon shooter I don't have that solution. Has anyone found a small unit that works well and reliably? I can live without driverless connectivity, but four or five hours of battery life is just not enough when you are outdoors.

Is there a site that reviews these units? GPSpassion.com is too chaotic for me to make sense of.

What about the Jobo. Expensive, but looks interesting if you don't need your hot shoe.

-- hide signature --

-wick

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow