Started Sep 5, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
shafah
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Want to shoot 18-50 and 135-200 in the same lens
Sep 5, 2009

Hello, this question gets asked a lot. And there are a lot of different answers depending on people's likes/dislikes.

I'm going to be in hawaii for a couple weeks and want to be able to walk around and take nice wide angle nature/scenery as well as 35-50 mm scenic portraits. Then for the last good bit of work I want to be able to catch some wild-life or hard to reach places out in the 135-200 mm range.

In doing my research on a single lens solution i've come across a lens that seems to perform pretty well in these ranges and that is the sigma OS 18-200. From looking at the sharpness comparisons here on DPR (the widget) it seems as if it as sharp or sharper than the nikon 18-200 VR at every focal range except for about 60-120 mm ... the nikon is better in this range (the sigma is VERY poor in this range). But at the rest of the spectrum the sigma seems to out perform the nikon.

What are your guys' experience with these specific focal ranges and is teh DPR lens widget a tool to be believed? If I stay away from the 60-120mm range is the sigma going to be a better option than the nikon for sharpness in outdoor lighting?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow