ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Collie Camp
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
Do you dislike chroma noise too?
Sep 5, 2009

Well,

the K-7 doesn´t show much chroma noise at all out of the box, but now I found even better JPG settings for me

First of all, I leave DR on all the time, as I didn´t find any negative impacts on IQ
(I only use ISO100 for landscapes or architecture when needed and use RAW+)

The special trick: I use High ISO NR "Low" as it looks best to me, now I switched the CF "Starting Iso for NR" to ISO200, just to check how much IQ and detail would degrade - and what do you know - the chroma noise in uniform areas gets even lower, BUT the sharpness seemed to have increased also further (though there seems to be very little more luminance noise visible - which is fine to me).

Don´t know why the details and sharpness look even better - might be just because of the more filmgrain like look now - this could cause a subjectivly higher sharpness.

Try it out - I´d like to hear your impressions.

With a "bright" setting, contrast 0, normal sharpness +1 - I really get JPGs that make RAWs obsolet for me - the JPG level of texture detail is even higher than in a finesharpend ACR RAW...

Bottomline: Thank you Pentax for given us such a flexible controll over the JPG output. Still feel there´s lots to discover - didn´t test finesharpness yet

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow