Wipe hard drive Partition freeware

Started Sep 4, 2009 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 12,804
Re: Wipe hard drive Partition freeware
In reply to Zone8, Sep 5, 2009

Zone8 wrote:

The best way to totally make a drive "as new" is to download a simple utility, to run either from a floppy or CD, as provided by hard drive manufactiuers.

Go to the website for the maker of your drive and look for a simple utility to totally wipe the disc clean. As run from DOS, will take quite a time to complete. This is the only way I know to really remove everything. Reformatting and most utilities do NOT remove the MBR info.

Alternatively, check for a suitable one here:

To really wipe totally to make disc as though unusued, you need to use one as described.

-- hide signature --

The photograph isolates and perpetuates a moment of time: an important and revealing moment, or an unimportant and meaningless one, depending upon the photographer's understanding of his subject and mastery of his process. -Edward Weston

Thanks for your reply:

The drive is a WD 320 GB RE2 5 year warranty drive. Would the Data Lifeguard for Floppy or for Cd be what you are referring to. I don't find anything that is "generally" referred to as a "wipe disk file" or something similar.

I prefer to NOT wipe the entire drive since there are some important Image Backup files on the 2nd Partition "G".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow