ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Touchdown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,478
Like?
My Camera Plan (A230 & A550)
Sep 4, 2009

Hi All

I currently own the A200, and I have throughly enjoyed it. However, I just bought the A230 two lens kit for use when traveling light. So far I'm pleased. I can live with the small grip, and I'm just a little annoyed that it uses a different battery. Both WB and AF seem to be improved over the A200 although I have no way of proving this. IQ seems to be at least equal to or better than the A200. The 18-55 SAM is a very nice lens; however, I don't think it will replace my CZ16-80 even when traveling light. The only time I'll use the 18-55 is when I don't want to risk the CZ. The 55-200 SAM has been a big surprise to me. It's sharper than my 100-300 APO D and it auto focues when my 100-300 APO D won't - I confirmed these points on both the A230 and the A200. When I'm traveling light I won't miss the extra FL. I plan on selling both the A200 and the 100-300 APO D.

I think the A230 is a great little camera for those who are willing to forgo some features. I also believe it will make a great starter DSLR - my oldest daughter is thinking of getting one. I bought the Kit with a $120 instant rebate - prices have already droped even lower to $579 for the two lens kit - a real bargain I think.

My biggest complaints with the A200 were low light performance and 3 fps; thus, I will probably buy the A550 (I can't resist it's LCD, 5 fps, and improved high ISO performance) for everyday use. However, I'll wait for reviews before making a final decision on the A550. At this point, I don't plan on getting the A700 replacement - I expect it to be a wonderful machine; however, it will be too big, to expensive, and have too many feature that I'm unlikely to use or miss.

I see the A230 and A550 meeting my photography needs for several years. I recognize that both cameras are missing some feature that would be nice, but I'm willing to make compromises for the sake of size and price. I think Sony has done a good job meeting my desires/requirements.

-- hide signature --

Thanks, Ed
Torrance, CA

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow