Started Sep 4, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dameek
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
D90 GPS surprise
Sep 4, 2009

I have read several threads over time that a few users of Nikon's GPS unit for the D90 weren't happy that the unit did not record the heading of the picture taken. I had originally wanted to buy the Nikon GPS but it wasn't available at the time so I purchased JOBO's GPS unit. This unit also fit on the hot shoe so if you want to use your flash then GPS is not available. With JOBO the position fix was usually less than a second, as the unit is always on. But with the JOBO unit (which is an excellent GPS unit) after you down load your photos, you connect the JOBO to your computer by USB, then you run their software to embed the GPS info into each picture.

I read a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about a member on here who had purchased a cable setup that plugged into the D90's GPS receptical that allowed one to use their own GPS hand held unit to record the GPS information into each picture. Well, to my surprise, using the purchased cable and my hand held GPS unit (Garmin GPSMap 60CSx) it embeds the GPS info directly into the photo taken and the one big plus is that it also embeds the GPS "heading" into the photo also. Reading the info on Nikon's GPS in the manual it doesn't show their unit record the heading. When I look at the preview screen on the camera it shows the heading along with the Latitude, Longitude, altitude, heading, and UTC(time and date). The link is http://pc-mobile.net . I hope someone finds this information valuable.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow