When will the 28-135 Cease being kitted with 1.6X bodies?

Started Sep 2, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JimH
Forum ProPosts: 12,741
Like?
When will the 28-135 Cease being kitted with 1.6X bodies?
Sep 2, 2009

When Canon came out with the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS, I thought to myself:

"Great, finally Canon has a two lens "kit" to compete at the department stores with the great two-lens kits from Oly."

But to my amazement, no such "kitting" ever happened here in the US. And instead, we had the 28-135 being offered as the standard kit.

"OK, they've got a pile of 28-135s they're trying to get rid of. Or the 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS are not really ramped up for production yet." I thought.

But then we had the 50D, and the same thing!.

Now, years later, we've got the 7D, and guess what? It's being sold as a kit with that same ancient lens.

What happened to the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS? The perfect two-lens starter kit for a 1.6X system. And now we've got two new EF-S lenses that would also be prime candidates for kitting with any new 1.6X Canon body. But still, we see the "kit" is always with that darned old 28-135!

Am I the only one who values having something on the wide end in an "all in one" or "walk around" lens?

The 28-135 would be a very good "all around" lens for a full-frame body. And that's what it was designed for - all those years ago - for the film cameras of the day. And yet... this seems to be what Canon assumes everyone buying any new 1.6X body will want.

Really?

EF-S 17-85 IS
EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS
EF-S 18-55 IS
EF-S 15-85 IS
EF-S 18-135 IS

And it doesn't occur to Canon or any of the resellers to package one of these far more suitable new lenses with the 1.6X bodies as a "kit"???

What is it about that ancient 28-135 that makes it so appealing to Canon as the kit lens for any and all cameras, seemingly for eternity? I half expect that 50 years from now, we'll still be seeing 1.6X bodies of the day being kitted with the 28-135.

I just don't get it at all.

Is there anyone out there who really wants a 28-135 to go with their 7D? Maybe I'm strange, but that lens isn't even in the top 30 Canon lenses I'd want for any 1.6X body.

-- hide signature --

Jim H.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
hahaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow