Started Sep 1, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cihangir Gzey
Contributing MemberPosts: 508Gear list
Like?
7D Full Hideous DSLR Video & some lens comments/question
Sep 1, 2009

I am not impressed by any of the videos in the below link. They look awful. Sorry but if there is no proper automatic AF, aperture and ISO control (that would be nice but not came even closer to providing this feature) during video, there is no reason to do it in Full HD. In this case Full HD video seems to me as "Full Hideous DSLR video"! I can understand such a video to be existing in a pro or semi-pro DSLR (person will spend a lot of time editing the video to earn his money; you know no free lunch in the pro world). But it is annoying to do it in such a fashion for XXD & XXXD series. That's why maybe Canon named this DSLR as XD instead of XXD (to avoid such a shame; direct this DSLR to pro people). So by naming it as 7D (instead of 60D), Canon says: "If you buy this DSLR as a pro photographer and record video with it, go and spend your hours for editing it also, no free lunch for you God damn pros!". Is it so difficult to make video recording easier? Panasonic did it!

http://gizmodo.com/5349829/canon-7d-dslr-first-hands-on-18-megapixels-24fps-full-hd-video-for-1900

I guess one of the DIGIC processor is sleeping (other than calculating proper exposure, ISO etc. for a decent video; because no duty is given in its firmware) in 7D. I wish there had been a video feature implemented like that of Panasonic GH1 (which records very good video with continuous AF and stepless aperture control).

Unless Canon comes with good video features (like that of GH1), I seem to be using a P&S for video. I am far from carrying a dedicated camcorder also while carrying the already big & heavy DSLR stuff.

I don't know if the EFS 15-85 will also break another world record (like 17-85 did) concerning the ULTRA heavy barrel distortion at wide end but I have a theory:

EF 50mm f/1.4 is Canon's son!

That's why Canon still doesn't improve this lens and still puts it in front of all the new models released (I guess Canon is a bit emotional for this matter and accepting that lens with his sins/mistakes as it is). What do you feel when you see this lens everytime unchanged? It gives me an itchy feeling. Are we wanting too much for a ring type USM driven 50mm f/1.4 with better aperture blades for a better bokeh?

Cihangir Gzey's gear list:Cihangir Gzey's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow