Started Sep 1, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
marianco
Senior MemberPosts: 1,125
Like?
I'm buying the 7D. I'm very impressed.
Sep 1, 2009

Kudo's to Canon. I am buying the Canon 7D as soon as I can.

I am simply blown away by the 7D. It is a WOW! Camera. Canon did a great job in engineering this top-of-the-line Prosumer camera.

Initially, I was skeptical about 18 megapixels. However, I recall Michael Reichman's experiment comparing the 15 megapixel Canon G10 and a 37 megapixel Medium Format Camera on 19-inch prints. What was interesting is that it was very very difficult for subjects to tell the photos apart. Only on larger photos would the difference be more noticeable. If the Canon G10's tiny 15 megapixel sensor can match a Pro Medium Format Digital camera, then the 7D can't do much worse on similar sized prints. Since 12x18 inch prints are the largest I print usually, then the 7D should do fine compared to larger sensor cameras.

Canon only missed a few items in my wish list for a prosumer camera with video capabilities.

1. An articulated screen.
2. A dedicated Mirror Lockup button - a long-time problem with Canon.

3. A larger and more capable auto-exposure bracket setting - it is still only 3 exposures at + - 2 stops. It should do 5 exposure all the way up to + - 5 stops.

These are not show stoppers.

The 30D, 40D, and 50D have done little to evolve much beyond what the 20D could do.

Now the Canon 7D blows the 20D away. Finally, Canon has created a worthy replacement for the 20D - the last prosumer Wow! camera - improving on every detail and spec on the 20D. It has been a long time coming.

Kudos to Canon.
I'm buying.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow