ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Griff01
Regular MemberPosts: 227
Like?
Should I buy a 500D?
Aug 27, 2009

Good afternoon all,

Following Canons recent announcement to not release a larger sensor compact camera, Ive taken the decision to abandon that sector of the market and look at a small dslr as an alternative, based on the bigger sensor, etc etc. Plus when I saw the 500D recently I was surprised actually how small it looks - it kind of begs the question why 4/3s is needed.

I have a few questions:

1) Im not looking to really buy a vast selection of lens for this camera - I have a couple for my larger 20D, but my thoughts were to really stick with the 18-55 kit lens as the standard carry around and minimise lens swapping/extra weight. Its a kind of vague attempt at having the 500D as a large "compact".

2) How does the 18-55 perform? It might sound daft but would this lens outperform say the fixed lens on my G10? Ive read a few reviews that are a mixed bag. Im not going to "pixel peep" or overly crop shots down so its difficult to gauge the relevance of reviews sometimes anyway. Im not too fussed about losing long end zoom, because i tend to shoot wider anyway. 88mm on the 500D cropped sensor is plenty.

What is the capability for nice blurred backgrounds and portrait based stuff? or are the wide open apertures best avoided?

anything really. any info anyone can offer about this setup would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow