Your recommendation: Single lens

Started Aug 24, 2009 | Discussions thread
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,495
Like?
One lens for a dslr? Sort of defeats the purpose
In reply to photosen, Aug 26, 2009

This question comes up on occasion. If you're going to buy a dslr, you won't restrict yourself to one lens. Even if your budget is limited, you will expand some day, so basing a choice on one lens only disregards where you're going. It's like asking what P&S has the best screw on lenses. Yes, you can do that, but there's a far better tool for the job.

Having said that, if I were just getting started and on a budget, I'd pass on the 12-60 and go with the older 14-54. Same performance, a lot cheaper, around $350. Combine that with a 620, and you come in for under one grand.

You could get a Pana/Leica 14-150 (if you can find one), and put it on an E420 for around $1600.

My standard kit these days is the 7-14, PL25 1.4, and 50-200. I used to carry the 14-54, but the PL25's rendering qualities are so sublime that I carry it now, and zoom with my feet. If you're going to lug out the dslr, may as well get the best IQ you can.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow