Started Aug 24, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,878Gear list
Like?
Your recommendation: Single lens
Aug 24, 2009

I'm a very happy Canon user and people have started to ask me for my opinion on their first DSLR purchase, but I'm seeing a lot of potential in many other brands including Olympus; I'll be posting the same question on the Pentax, Nikon and Canon forums.

I started with a prime (50mm 1.4) and I do think that was the best way to go for me, as you can great results from the get-go if you set your mind to it, instead of the slow and more traditional climb: kit lens, tele zoom, somehow cover the wide perspective... And eventually get into primes.

The only regret I have is that the 50mm on a Canon 30D is really an 80mm - I keep missing that normal perspective.

I know the first question should be: "What do you want to shoot?", but the reality is that most people don't know, so this is the second best question: Knowing what you now know, which Olympus DSLR / single lens combination would you recommend for someone willing to learn? The budget is around $1,500 USD, but this should include at least a bag, additional battery and such.

Without having an Olympus myself, the Zuiko 12-60 and a one of the smaller DSLRs combo looks very enticing. I do realize the Olympus kit lenses have a reputation for being better than those from other brands, but I'm looking for a little more "wow!". I was going to restrict this to primes but I'd rather learn from your opinions, so zooms are welcome if you think they're worth it, and if you think you can squeeze in another lens, all the better - just mind that budget!

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow