Where exactly does the 5D's focus fall short?

Started Aug 23, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lucas Jarvis
Regular MemberPosts: 459
Like?
Where exactly does the 5D's focus fall short?
Aug 23, 2009

I'm curious as to the area the 5D's focus falls short of Nikon or the pro Canon models. I read all the time in these forums that the 5D/50D's doesn't cut it. I own two 5D's but I haven't had much experience shooting with a pro body or a Nikon. I don't feel I'm having focus issues, but any improvement can't hurt and it may justify an upgrade.

In comparison:

1. Is it that they miss the focus mark by small margins? Are they locking on to focus, but it's just a little off?

2. Do they have trouble locking focus compared to other models? Is it in daylight, dim locations, or both?

3. Are they slower all around at locking focus?

Regarding my questions, I feel like two and three are ones that one can physically tell while shooting if it's a problem. Number one is a bit grey as it can be hard to tell if soft shots are user error when working with really short depth of field.

Any thoughts would be great, or maybe links to articles that do calculated comparison testing. Sometimes I'm not sure what's fact and what has just been rehashed from what someone else has said until it just gets assumed it's fact.

Kind regards,
Lucas

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow