S90 !!!

Started Aug 19, 2009 | Discussions thread
Tom Hoots
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,705
Like?
Viewfinders.
In reply to Tidza, Aug 21, 2009

Tidza wrote:

Is it just me, or is anyone else dismayed by the lack of an optical viewfinder?

Not at all, myself.

Also, I wear reading glasses, so to be able to compose via the LCD, whilst looking at a more distant image, simply doesn't work for me.

A few things:

I really find optical viewfinders utterly useless. I just can't live with an 80% view of the image I'm trying to carefully frame. Useless.

I wear eyeglasses, though I generally take them off if I'm shooting with a DSLR or an electronic viewfinder. So then I'm walking around half-blind so that I can press those things up to my eye.

The biggest thing, by far, though, is how "I just can't shoot straight" with a camera smushed up against my face. It was a true revelation when I realized that, by getting the framing image out in front of me, I could actually focus on it properly, with my glasses on, and use gridlines and such to actually shoot straight images.

So, yes, there are "sunlight" issues, but otherwise, I have come to learn how to love the LCD-only camera. And it's not really an "arm's-length" thing -- you can hold the camera quite close to your face, getting a very good balance between your ability to focus upon the screen, and see enough detail to accurately frame your image.

Tom Hoots
http://thoots.zenfolio.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
S90New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow