PIX 2015

S90 !!!

Started Aug 19, 2009 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Tom Hoots
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,067
In reply to Tidza, Aug 21, 2009

Tidza wrote:

Is it just me, or is anyone else dismayed by the lack of an optical viewfinder?

Not at all, myself.

Also, I wear reading glasses, so to be able to compose via the LCD, whilst looking at a more distant image, simply doesn't work for me.

A few things:

I really find optical viewfinders utterly useless. I just can't live with an 80% view of the image I'm trying to carefully frame. Useless.

I wear eyeglasses, though I generally take them off if I'm shooting with a DSLR or an electronic viewfinder. So then I'm walking around half-blind so that I can press those things up to my eye.

The biggest thing, by far, though, is how "I just can't shoot straight" with a camera smushed up against my face. It was a true revelation when I realized that, by getting the framing image out in front of me, I could actually focus on it properly, with my glasses on, and use gridlines and such to actually shoot straight images.

So, yes, there are "sunlight" issues, but otherwise, I have come to learn how to love the LCD-only camera. And it's not really an "arm's-length" thing -- you can hold the camera quite close to your face, getting a very good balance between your ability to focus upon the screen, and see enough detail to accurately frame your image.

Tom Hoots

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow