Started Aug 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mtwo
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
Just back from 3 weeks in Europe
Aug 21, 2009

No, the photos are not ready to put up anywhere just yet. I did think I would share some observations/experiences. First, I did not take the D700, opting instead for the D300 due to weight and size of lenses. Wife took a D60 with her 18-135 and was happy with that combination. Perhaps this should not be on this forum but I normally post here so bear with me.

I took a D300 with a 24-120 and a 10-20 Sigma. I packed both in a Tamrac Pro 8 which has one lovely feature. It will slide down over the handle of a carry on suitcase and stay there due to it's back pocket which will hold small booklets or the like. I used a sling pack for walking around.

We had a laptop computer to download to after a days shooting and I had just recently had hard disk problems with my desktop so bought one of those little USB powered drives. I bought a Seagate 500Gb which was overkill but was very glad I had it. The drive is small and light and even fairly responsive.

The C drive on the laptop crashed on the next to the last day of our trip. We were in Paris and it was Saturday. Thankfully I had set Nikon Transfer to send photos from the camera to both the laptop and the little drive so did not loose a photo. Not sure what else was lost as the computer is in the hospital awating surgery.

I did not take a long lens and never felt like I needed one. The 24-120, while widely panned is a pretty good snapshot lens. The VR works and it is light. The Sigma was invaluable in museums and other tight quarters where you could use a camera.

I wished for the D700 in some low light situations but I may have some useable shots anyhow. Auto ISO is really nice in some situations. I shot Raw plus .jpg so as to have stuff to send quickly and more flexible shots to work on later.

Had a great time but my heaven European cities are expensive places to eat and drink in and, no, I do not do McDonalds overseas.
John

mtwo's gear list:mtwo's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow