Started Aug 17, 2009 | Discussions thread
Ergo607
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204Gear list
Like?
Re: Weather sealing is OVerrated
In reply to rssarma, Aug 19, 2009

rssarma wrote:

Ergo607 wrote:

When you open the battery cover, the cover has a rubber seal, so that should be all right. Also the LCD displays seems to be of the same build quality as of the E-3 (certainly a step up from the E-620.) That is what I am myself basing on. It is just an assumption, not something that I can proof other than my (meanwhile) famous photo (that you find some posts above.)

Hmm, although a good indication I'd still be concerned about the buttons and dials which might get affected by moisture. But you're probably right about the fact that it might just withstand light rain/moisture as demonstrated by you.

Agreed...

Meanwhile, I purchased the E-30 today. I only hope Olympus doesn't come with an updated E-33 or E-40 with weather sealing. It would make me mad. After Iceland I was certain that my next camera would be weather sealed, and I actually looked at the E-3, but I like the E-30 so much better, so I went for this one. I might buy me a second hand E-1 though, just to have sealing when I need it...

I wouldn't recommend getting an E-1 just for the sealing, some of these cameras around are old and even if they look "mint" will not be an indication of where they've been. OTOH, even if you did bugger the camera up by using it in the rain, you wouldn't lose and awful lot of money

One advantage of Oly camera's is that you can do the menu thingy to see how many shutter actuations it has, and if there are any errors. Although it doesn't say all, it's a good start for an indication...

-- hide signature --

Raj Sarma
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rssarma
--
Follow me on Twitter: rssarma

Olympus enthusiasts from NYC Metro, join UKPSG:
http://snipurl.com/crc3n

Ergo607's gear list:Ergo607's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow