ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SteMa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,100
Like?
About the G11's sensor
Aug 19, 2009

Hi!

I saw a lot of you talking about what the new CCD could be, so I guess I should post this:
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol57/pdf/icx685cqz.pdf

Sony recently annnounced this as their most sensitive ccd for compacts. If you don't understand those specifications:
Sensitivity (G signal) - 3200K, 706 cd/m2, 1/30 s accumulation, F5.6
330mV

this is the voltage response to that specific light, and the higher it is, the less ampilification needed, the less noise there will be

Just for comparison, usually the ccd-s for compacts are aroudn 170mV! I don't know about canon sensors (since they're not made by sony, which datasheets are published), but the 12mpx sony aps-c sensor (used in nikon d90, d300, d5000) has 500mV green response! And for mobile phones the sensitivity is around 100mV (the new 12mpx 1/2.5" chip for mobile phones is 90mV)

Another important specification is "Saturation; Ta = 60°C, per pixel signal"

800mV, which refers to dynamic range, and I don't know this exactly but it's too around halfway between the conventional sensors and aps-c ones.

And this chip doesn't feature such a fast readout to enable 720p (well they can read out 690 lines they could have upsampled it of couse...)
--
Best regards, SteMa

Canon, you can... Nikon, unique...

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow