50D TINY focus point driving me nuts (football)

Started Aug 19, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joebelter
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?
50D TINY focus point driving me nuts (football)
Aug 19, 2009

I really love my 50d. Really. I'm the team photographer for a college football team and am constantly frustrated by my inability to CONSISTENTLY get those shots I want to get. I use a 70-200 F/2.8 Canon lens for pretty much everything. I use AI Servo and back button focusing. I also set to F/4 or F/5 to give me a little room for stupidity in being accurate in focusing.

Here's my issue: If I use center focus, and I'm not RIGHT SMACK on my player while I'm tracking him I will often get the trees in focus behind his head some 200 yards away. In the heat of the moment I will often miss that SUPERB shot when I miss focusing on his helmet by two inches. Happens all the time. The reason I'm off my player at all is that I'm not shooting through the viewfinder, but sighting down the barrel of my gun (lens) and am off a little. If I try to do it all from within the viewfinder I can't follow the ball/action even if I start at 70mm and try to zoom in to 200 when I find the target.

If I use the 9 point ring of focus points, now the focus area is SO BIG that it will focus on all sorts of stuff I don't want it to.

Isn't there some way to make it so that it focuses on what's inside the circle in the viewfinder? That way I can have some leeway in keeping on my subject. Right now it seems I have to use this TINY "laser pointing" box in the center of my viewfinder or switch to this MONSTER whole viewfinder 9 point monstrosity!

Here's an example. UGH!!! My focus point was just off his helmet!

I'd so appreciate any help!
Thanks!
Joe

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow