Started Aug 17, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lupin_le_vorace
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
D5000 - My first impressions
Aug 17, 2009

After having located a Montreal retailer with some "good" D5000 in stock, I was finally able to buy one.

I have been playing with it since Saturday, and so far so good!

The first thing I realized was that the metering is not as bad as what I read everywhere. I agree that the D5000 tends to slightly underexposed, but it's not as bad as I though it was going to be. On the other hand, I have to say that I shoot only in P or A mode (never in Auto) but, as far I as know, the metering should not be affected by that.

I also love the automatic white balance. Not very good under artificial lights (especially tungsten) but, most of the time, very good under natural light. I was the lucky owner of a S5 Pro and, as far I am concern, the colors produced by the D5000 are not very far from the ones I used to get from the S5 Pro.

Here's some of my "favorite" shots so far (I don't consider myself a "photographer" by the way). They are straight from the camera with no exposure compensation on none of them (except -0.3 for the third image). I didn't use D-Lighting on any of them.

So far I am a very happy camper!

PS: Sorry for my limited English writing...

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow