Started Aug 17, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steve Grooms
Senior MemberPosts: 2,553Gear list
Like?
Bootleg Windows Issues
Aug 17, 2009

Briefly, my Windows computer developed software issues so serious that the hard drive had to be "wiped clean" and given a fresh Windows. Restoring the system was a massive headache, for I have purchased many applications that I downloaded without disks (and in fact disks are often not offered). So I had to return to about a dozen companies to get them to authorize another download.

Although I provided my OEM authentic Windows disk to my repairman, he subcontracted the job to a technician who used a bootleg copy of Windows in the system rebuild. I guess it is easier to do that than to use a customer's disk. Many of the Windows users who are in trouble with Microsoft now are victims of what is called "lazy repairman's syndrome." It apparently is easier to restore a whole hard drive by running bootlegged Windows in an automatic feed.

Now I have problems. Microsoft has detected the illegal disk. My Windows no longer accepts wallpaper images, and I have notices yapping at me to resolve this issue. Microsoft seems to offer no way to show them that I do have a legitimate copy of Windows, but it might not make any difference. I still have the bootlegged Windows on my computer. I think I'll be harassed until I get it off.

My computer tech now tells me we have to strip the hard drive, wipe it clean and rebuild the whole software package again, using my own Windows disk this time. That means I'll lose all those applications and will have to go back (for a second time in four months) to software companies and try to convince them to authorize fresh downloads.

Is this the only answer? The best answer?

If I continue with things as they are, Windows mostly works. I can't get fresh downloads, and I can't use the Wallpaper feature.

Or is there any way I can replace the bootlegged Windows with the OEM copy?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow