fighting a losing battle, is being a sony photographer viable?

Started Aug 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
Geir Eivind Mork
Senior MemberPosts: 1,680Gear list
Like?
Re: fighting a losing battle, is being a sony photographer viable?
In reply to nanaphoto, Aug 14, 2009

Even if I purchase an a900, it seems that I'll need to buy a lens for every job. In Bangkok there is only one store that I an readily get Sony lenses from. Buying lenses for each job at this beginning stage of my career is really hard on my budget, so I've been renting. Perhaps this is wrong, I should just bite the bullet and pay for them for the future. Is this the same for sony photographers in the US? I own about 5 sony lenses right now, but I'm missing the 70-200g and 100mm Macro lens to round out my kit. Do I really need that many lenses as a pro?

So my question, from a purely LOGISTICAL perpective, should I switch to using canon if I want be a professional photographer?

What kind of job doesn't a 24-70mm and a 70-200mm do that you need? Macro? What kind of customer needs a closeup of a bug or other 1:1 critters or stuff that you need a dedicated macro for.

I work for an advertising angency, and we use Canon. However, we have only one lens and thats a 17-55mm (or something in that ballpark). That is all we need for all our photography needs. We have our own studio with all the gizmos and lighting needed, and do product, people and group for both print and web. We even use a Canon Eos 350d which is and old entry level.

So I'm just curious if you put the idea of professional photography to a place where you need every exotic lens in the world to be able to do your job?
--
Still rocking the old Sony Alpha α100.

Geir Eivind Mork's gear list:Geir Eivind Mork's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow