Anyone have any opnions of the Giottos MH1300 Ball Head?

Started Aug 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Carrico
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
Anyone have any opnions of the Giottos MH1300 Ball Head?
Aug 14, 2009

I am looking for a good Ball Head for my Monopod, but I don't want to spend a fortune. I have a Markins Q3 for my Tripod that I like a lot, but that is $270.

Has anyone used the Giottos MH-1300 and have anything good or bad to say about it for use on top of a Monopod (or even a Tripod)? The Giottos is over $100 LESS than the Markins. I'm not expecting it to be as good as the Markins (and it doesn't have the same carrying capacity), but I do want a quality ball head for the Monopod.

The biggest lens I currently have for my D300 w/grip is my Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 (two ring). Its about 6.8 lbs in total when the grip is filled with AA's. I would like to buy a larger lens sometime in the future, so want the ballhead to be able to handle up to 20 lbs at a minimum.

The MH-1300 is rated at 25 lbs and comes with the MH-657 clamp for Arca-Swiss style plates. Could this be the one for me? Would really like to hear about the experience of others with this ballhead. I was previously considering a Feisol, but heard mediocre reviews of it, so thought I would give the Giottos a shot (my Tripod is Giottos and I am happy with it).

Thanks.

• David

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/.../Giottos_MH1300_657_MH_1300_Pro_Series_II.html

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow