ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,100
Like?
Macro greater than 1:1
Aug 14, 2009

Hi

I have been looking at various macro threads on these forums and around the web. It seems the only lens that does greater than 1:1 by itself is the Canon MP-E.

Reading about the MP-E it seems that it is really just a reverse mounted lens on a variable extension tube. It is manual focus and focuses very close only.

That got me thinking that if i reverse a lens onto a 1:1 converter I will get pretty much the same thing but I can choose the range I want by choosing the lens to reverse.

It seems that a 50mm lens reversed ON TO a 1:1 converter will give me less than 1:1 up to around 2:1 and a 28mm lens reversed will give about 2:1 to "something pretty big".

I have had a couple of 1:1 converters for years but have never thought of reversing the lenses I use on them until now and I can not find anything about doing this....the closest I can find is people using reversed lenses on extension tubes.

I have just purchased a couple of cheap reversing rings to try this with but they do not get here for a week or two. I am really curious now....has anyone tried this? Care to show some pics? Anyone have the lens, converter and reversing ring and want to have a go?

If I am right it may be the easiest way to get a variable, reasonable quality macro greater than 1:1 and a hellofa lot cheaper than a Canon system and MP-E.

I have just tried hand holding the reversed lens es to the 1:1 converter and the 50mm lenses seem very good for this as the working distance is very good.

Maybe a 35mm lens might be the best as it would be somewhere between the working distance of the reversed 50mm and the higher magnification of the 28 (but 28 is too close for living things really....just like the MP-E seems to be).

What would be some good lenses that are high quality reversed? (does not need to be Pentax or even K or m42 mount...any mount will do... but preferably 52mm or 55mm filter thread).

neil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26884588@N00/

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow