Could you do 'Kodachrome' in Lightroom? What was it anyway?

Started Aug 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
MichaelGray
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: Could you do 'Kodachrome' in Lightroom? What was it anyway?
In reply to timo, Aug 13, 2009

Kodachrome differs from modern slide film in the aspect that it is actually a black and white film. The emulsion iself does not contain any dyes or couplers and color is introduced to the film during the complicated K-14 process. This lends to the look of Kodachrome that no other film has duplicated. Also, Kodachrome still has some silver content remaining in the emulsion, which makes it impossible to get good results scanning the film with Digital ICE turned on.

As far as emulating the look, you can only get close, as there is too much nuance to a Kodachrome slide to sucessfully emulate it convincingly from a RAW file. I run lifeindigitalfilm.com and have created all of the presets available on the site. Kodachrome was the hardest I have encountered to emulate, and I am still not happy with the presets I have released. I have shot 20+ rolls of Kodachrome over the past few months for the primary purpose of accurately emulating the film. Once developed I hope to produce a more accurate simulation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow