Started Aug 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hafcc
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
Lens decision and tips for Lisbon trip
Aug 13, 2009

I will spend my next week in Lisbon and I thought that creating this thread might shed some light in respect to what lenses I should take with me or what are the main photo opportunities in Lisbon.

I'm trying to travel as light as possible but at the same time I am not willing to make any compromises when it comes to image quality or shooting style. Taking all my lenses with me and leaving some at the hotel is also an option, since I will have a hard time to carry all the equipment for a lot of hours (I am planning to shoot in the first couple of days in every possible setting (dawn, dusk etc).

I am thinking about taking with me my D700, Tokina 12-24mm f/4 for architecture/ultra wide angle, 35mm f/2 for wide angle and low light, Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 as an "almost standard" lens, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 for any type of photography since this is my favorite lens and the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 for candids, tele look. I am also planning to carry in the same bag an Asus eee pc netbook to check up some various locations and places to visit on the go and to download the nefs from the camera.

All this equipment weights a lot and I am trying to decide whether I should reconsider things and maybe only take a couple of lenses. For what is worth I always take with me a lot of equipment and most of the time I only get a couple of keepers from each lens, the vast majority are usually taken with the 85mm f/1.4 Nikkor.

Also, what are some great neighborhoods for capturing the true spirit of Lisbon and to shoot some photos of the locals, far away from the busy city centre where most naturally tourists flock? For what is worth I am mostly into street photography, urban details. I will also carry with me a phone with GPS navigation software, so I hope I won’t get lost.

I appreciate any input, thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow