Help Ned! Replacement 16-50 has to go back after just receiving it!

Started Aug 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
inferno10
Contributing MemberPosts: 518Gear list
Like?
Help Ned! Replacement 16-50 has to go back after just receiving it!
Aug 13, 2009

Had front-focusing issues with my DA* 16-50, so I sent it in to Pentax hoping for a fix. Several weeks later, a replacement lens arrived. My heart leapt knowing I would finally have my walkaround lens back. However, my joy was quickly crushed.

This replacement lens still had front-focusing issues. Even worse, the focusing mechanism is really "crunchy." Instead of feeling a smooth motion, I can definitely notice the ball bearings grinding as I rotated the focus ring; this issue definitely was not present on my previous copy of the lens.

Although I could have let this issue go, the issue that was a real show stopper was the fact that the focus would sometimes get stuck now! Trying to utilize the AF on my K-7, I noticed that the lens could not move the focus. Thinking maybe the SDM was dead, I tried to rotate the focus ring. The focus ring moved, but the actual focus element didn't; I confirmed this by noting that the distance indicator on the top of the lens wasn't moving.

This lens has to go back. I'm so frustrated with this front focusing issue already. I've been several weeks without my walkabout lens. And after it returns, it still has the issue. So, I'm going to send back the K-7 as well.

This is a nightmare. Ned or JohnCPentax, help! I'm really dreading having to go weeks without my DSLR and my lens again!

• Jason

inferno10's gear list:inferno10's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow