fighting a losing battle, is being a sony photographer viable?

Started Aug 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nanaphoto
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
fighting a losing battle, is being a sony photographer viable?
Aug 11, 2009

If you've read my other post, you'll know that I'm an American living Thailand at the moment doing research. I recently decided to start doing freelance photography work. Currently I'm shooting with an alpha 300. However, when I get jobs, I've been renting a canon 1ds or a 5d (canon is the only available rental camera equipment in Bangkok. I've been patiently waiting for Sony to announce a replacement to the a700 to upgrade my gear.

I like shooting with Sony but all the professional photographers and studios I've worked with here all say I need to switch to Canon because it is the standard in Thailand. This is not due to the fact they think Nikon and Sony take bad pictures, but due to the fact that Sony does not offer many lenses and is not used by many people. In addition, apparently the service center here for Nikon sucks horribly.

Even if I purchase an a900, it seems that I'll need to buy a lens for every job. In Bangkok there is only one store that I an readily get Sony lenses from. Buying lenses for each job at this beginning stage of my career is really hard on my budget, so I've been renting. Perhaps this is wrong, I should just bite the bullet and pay for them for the future. Is this the same for sony photographers in the US? I own about 5 sony lenses right now, but I'm missing the 70-200g and 100mm Macro lens to round out my kit. Do I really need that many lenses as a pro?

So my question, from a purely LOGISTICAL perpective, should I switch to using canon if I want be a professional photographer?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow