Started Aug 9, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ed Ketterer
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 MACRO EX Focusing Very Slowly
Aug 9, 2009

I just picked up a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 MACRO EX off eBay and I am concerned with it's focusing speed.

I'm using the lens on a K10D and when I attempt to use autofocus on something that is not at all in focus the lens very slowly hunts out to infinitiy and back to close range sometimes, without ever getting the image into focus. Sometimes it works but even then it may take 4-5 seconds.

If there is plenty of light and the object is already close to being in focus the lens dials it in farily quickly...but them seems to do 4-5 micro adjustments to get it just right...this is much slower than my other lenses but acceptable for a macro I guess.

But since this a fast 105mm lens I was hoping to use it for portraits and other shots, not just close up macros...but the focusing is so slow and erratic I don't think that will work very well.

Is this normal behavior for this lens or did I get a defective lens?

The seller has offerend to take it back for a full refund but I got a great deal on it so if this is normal I'll just keep it.

Thanks,

• Ed

-- hide signature --

Ed

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
bumpNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow