Started Aug 9, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hemidart
Senior MemberPosts: 1,939
Like?
Why use manual mode?
Aug 9, 2009

Yesterday I was at a family BBQ with my D40. My brother-in-law had his new 5DmkII who insists on shooting in M mode, me I am happy in P.

I have been into photography since the early 80's and back then I was able to guess my aperture and shutter just by knowing my film and scene. Today I mainly shoot in P, but switch to AP or SP depending on what I am shooting, or what effect I want. If I want to adjust the exposure I'll just compensate. I can find zero reason to always shoot in M. I mean most people that shoot in manual rely on the internal meter, which is what the camera does and most times will hit the same settings that the shooter did.

My brother-in-law keep fiddling with his settings, while I keep taking pictures and after comparing shots later, none of his were better exposed, yet I had more keepers because I got more shots.

Personally I think M is not needed...With P, AP, SP and Exposure Comp, Manual serves no use.

Flame on....
--
http://www.pbase.com/dwinnert

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AE-LNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow