Started Aug 1, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SantaFeBill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,074
Like?
How to Break Dell's Spoofing of MSN.com
Aug 1, 2009

My wife bought a new Dell Vostro system. Very nice, and fast.

But Dell has somehow managed to spoof the address for MSN.com (our choice for the home page when we open the browser), so when you try to go to MSN.com, you are redirected to a 'Dell msn.com', which looks somewhat like the regular site, but has added (and unwanted) Dell additions.

Of course, you lose your link to 'My MSN.com' and anything else that depends on an auto log-in to the addl. features.
1. How can Dell get away with this? Looks like MS would be all over them ... .

2. More importantly, how do I break the spoof and get back the ability to go to the real MSN?

What doesn't work: Changing the default home page in Internet Tools in IE6 (you can type in 'MSN.com', but as soon as you log back on, you're back to the Dell page); typing the URL for MSN in the address bar - as soon as you hit 'Enter', you're back to the Dell 'MSN' page; doing a search for MSN.com, selecting it, and press 'Enter' - same result.

There's got to be some way of breaking this, either from IE itself or using some app that will break spoofing links.
Many thanks.

P.S. I'm going to post on the Dell forum also. If I get an answer there that works before someone here comes up with one, I'll post the result back here. I'm also going to do a Web search on how to break spoofs.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow