Started Aug 1, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris Dennehy
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?
So now the CX1
Aug 1, 2009

I have been looking at this forum for the last 18months or so well before the intoduction of the R8 and found it to be perhaps the most informative and pleasant of all the forums and have noted how dedicated a bunch of followers Ricoh have. Initially when looking for a compact to replace my Canon Ixus 70 and to act as a backup to my DSLR system I had not thought of Ricoh, of course I remembered it from the film days but as far as I was concerned it had sort of dipped out of site.

I finally narrowed my choice of camera down to the GRDII, GX200, CX1, Panasonic LX3, Panasonic FX550 and Samsung WB1000. Yes the Samsung was a strange one but it has manual controls, a good 24-120mm lens and reasonable reviews, what sank it for me were the 2 toy like dials on top for remaining battery and memory, most unprofessional looking to my way of thinking.

I think the FX550 has the ideal lens range for my type of photography 25-125mm, 135mm would have been nicer but I just could not like it and eliminated it. The LX3 was very tempting especially the F2.0/2.8 24mm lens but after much thought, mostly when I should have been doing something else, I came to the conclusion that 60mm would just not do for me and noted that Guy was not completely happy with the screen so that was another no, no.

I was very tempted by the GX200, I liked the 24-72mm F2.4 lens (even if not as fast as the LX3), stepped zoom and customisation features, but I was never quite happy with the boxy flash over the lens, it looks wrong to me and after seeing Pavel’s article on the 135mm extension lens it looked too big and cumbersome with this mounted, finally in another post Guy Parsons mentioned that he had gone for the LX3 because he found there was too much noise on the GX for his liking and I have always regarded his and Tom Caldwell’s opinions highly.

So now we’re down to the GRDII and CX1. Well the GRD II is a very nice camera and I have been most impressed by the work done by some members of the forum and I was greatly tempted. I was not altogether sure if the single fixed 28mm lens would suit my subject matter, it seems more geared to street photography, I loath city’s and I really don’t photograph people that much, however I decided to wait and see what the GRD III would bring, it’s a lovely camera but at that price - no. So I looked again at the GRD II and decided to let it pass, maybe I’ll get a GRD III when the price becomes more reasonable.

So now to the CX1 and as sure as I’ve decide to go for this one the CX2 will be out to-morrow. Initially I had this ruled out because of no view finder, but after further consideration noting it’s high resolution and anti-glare coating and using my Canon without viewfinder for the last week or so, I decided I could live with this, after all it’s supposed to be a back up and not my primary camera. What impresses me is the coverage, fine I would have preferred 24mm to 28mm but otherwise it seems to cover most things, the stepped zoom seems to me to be an excellent feature as I have great difficulty in getting the Canon to zoom to the exact area I want whereas the stepping would seem to give more control. It seems to have pretty much the same degree of customisation as the GX and GRD but without full manual control and I like the look of it.

So here goes, the best price I can find is Simply Electronics in the UK, anybody have any experience with them ?

Kind Regards,
--
CD

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow