ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Truvelo
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Very underwhelmed by D700 + 14-24
Aug 1, 2009

Geetings all,

Having pondered replacing my five year old D70 and 12-24 for some time now I recently decided to go ahead and buy a D700 and 14-24 f2.8, particularly on the strength of how sharp the 14-24 is reported to be in the corners.

Having taken around 100 pictures since I had the new setup all I can say is that the full frame system obviously goes wider but the difference in sharpness is marginal. In fact the Hitachi letting on the blue vacuum appears to be sharper in the D70 12-24 picture. For all the thousands this has cost me I am really not impressed with the performance so I've taken a picture with both cameras from the same tripod position and compared them.

Although this isn't a scientific test, here's the settings I used on both cameras:
ISO 200
multi point autofocus
aperture priority mode set at f7.1
white balance auto

Raw which I saved as a low compressed JPEG in Photoshop to remove most JPEG artifacts.

Below are links to both images with no post processing other than to convert the NEF's to JPEG's.

; 1300k

; 2500k

I would welcome anyone's comments, particularly in regard to the 14-24's sharpness.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow