Kata Bag Advice - R-series or 3N-1-series?

Started Jul 31, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
appieh
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Kata Bag Advice - R-series or 3N-1-series?
Jul 31, 2009

Hi all,

I've been pouring through reviews before buying a much needed upgrade for my old camera bag. I think I've settled on either the Kata R102 or the Kata 3N-120 or 130, but was hoping for some insight from current owners based on my needs.

I have a 5dmk2, 70-200 f/2.8 IS, 24-70, and a Sigma 12-24. I also have a 430 ex II flash, and the usual extras. First of all, does anyone know how well the 3N-120 would fit my gear, or if I'd need the 3N-130? I doubt I'll expand my lens collection much in the near future.

A couple other factors:

• I'm no Vin Diesel...I'm a fairly petite female and am not blessed in the back/shoulder muscle department (though I plan to hike with my gear). I don't have an impossible amount of gear, but on my current shoulderbag, I get tired pretty quickly when lugging it all around - so a bag that can handle a moderate amount of weight on daytrips or hikes is great.

-I'm somewhat accident prone. I don't do any extreme sports or expect any traumatic falls for my gear, but I wouldn't put the occasionally drop or something slipping out of the bag past me.

-I switch lenses a good deal and am concerned about the ease of access for a backpack...especially if I try swinging it around to quickly grab a lens and have another fall out in the process.

From what I've read, both bags are good but the backpack is better constructed, better for carrying more weight longer, and has a tripod holder. The 3N-1s are better for access and are smaller. I'm leaning towards the 3N-1s but am concerned if I do take longer hikes or day trips, the bag will become too uncomfortable, and also that it might not protect my gear as well.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow